Child Support

Toledo Family Lawyer Assists Clients with Child Support Issues

Ohio law firm helps safeguard your finances and your children’s future

Ohio law recognizes that both parents have a duty to support their children. When parents are not together, the state attempts to ensure that the child is adequately cared for by requiring one parent to pay child support to the other parent. When dealing with child support matters, it is important to seek the advice of a seasoned attorney who can ensure that obligations are assessed in an accurate manner. As the founder of Richard A. Karcher Attorney at Law, in Toledo, I have more than 39 years of experience representing clients in Northwest Ohio in family law cases, including those that involve child support. I understand the state’s child support guidelines and will advise you how the law applies to your case.

Toledo family lawyer explains Ohio child support guidelines

Most child support determinations involve the noncustodial parent paying support to the custodial parent who has been awarded physical custody. Child support orders may result from cases involving:

  • Divorce
  • Dissolutions
  • Legal separation
  • Paternity
  • Orders of protection

In Ohio, the amount of child support is based on the state child support guidelines, through a formula that determines the appropriate support amount based on a variety of factors, including:

  • The combined income of the parties
  • Number of children who are included in the support order
  • Work-related childcare expenses
  • The cost of health insurance for the children in the child support order

Most noncustodial parents in Ohio are granted visitation rights, known as parenting time. The current law provides a 10 percent parenting time adjustment for standard parenting time orders with 90 overnights per year. The court can deviate from the amount in the child support guidelines if there is extended parenting time or extraordinary costs associated with it. Child support orders in Ohio typically end when a child graduates from high school or turns 18, although some orders may extend past this time by mutual agreement between the parents or if the child has special needs. As a dedicated divorce attorney, I will work to make sure that the other parent pays an appropriate amount of support or prevent the other parent from obtaining a court order for more child support than he or she is entitled to receive.

Proven litigator helps clients enforce support orders

Child support and child custody decisions are usually separate, so even if a parent does not exercise visitation rights with his or her children, the noncustodial parent still has the financial obligation to pay child support. If your child’s other parent fails to pay support, I can help you take enforcement actions that may include:

  • Interception of tax returns
  • Garnishment of wages
  • Levy on a bank account or other property
  • Loss of driver license privileges
  • Finding of contempt of court

If a parent is found in contempt of court for not paying the ordered child support, he or she can be ordered to become current on payments or given jail time. I will take all legal steps needed to enforce your court order and obtain the support your child needs.

Ohio firm helps families seek child support modifications

If you are unable to make your child support payments or if circumstances warrant an adjustment of the payment amount, a modification may be possible by applying to the court. Child support orders can be increased or reduced when a parent’s financial situation changes or a change in income results in a 10 percent change in the child support guideline amount. Child support payments must continue to be paid at the existing rate until a judge enters a new support order.

Contact a dedicated Ohio attorney for help with a child support issue

If you need help with establishing, modifying or enforcing a child support order, Richard A. Karcher Attorney at Law in downtown Toledo is ready to assist you. I serve clients in Lucas County and surrounding areas in Northwest Ohio. To schedule your free phone consultation, call 419-534-0605 ext. 203 or contact me online. My hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and I am also available by appointment on evenings and weekends.

Comments are closed.